Thursday, November 18, 2010

Dear Clark,

From the long and uninterrupted friendship and confidence which has subsisted between us I feel no hesitation in making to you the following communication…
My plan is to descend the Ohio in a keeled boat thence up the Mississippi to the mouth of the Missourie, and up that river as far as it’s navigation is practicable with a keeled boat, there to prepare canoes of bark or raw-hides, and to proceed to it’s source, [the Missouri’s] and if practicable pass over to the waters of the Columbia or Origan River and by descending it reach the Western Ocean…
Thus my friends you have a summary view of the plan, the means and the objects of this expedition. If therefore there is anything under those circumstances, in this enterprise, which would induce you participate with me in it’s fatigues, it’s dangers, it’s honors, believe me there is no man on earth with whom I should feel equal in sharing them as with yourself.
Meriwether Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment